Tax, Superannuation & Health Insurance

Tax Information

Before you commence working in Australia you must acquire a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). SwingShift Nurses can supply you with a Tax File Number application form. Once you have commenced working with us, taxes will be deducted from your weekly wage at the approved scale. Refer to the Individuals section of the ATO website for more information.


You can choose the superannuation fund to which SwingShift Nurses will make future superannuation guarantee contributions. All members will receive the Superannuation (super) standard choice form, an official document from the ATO.

Under the choice, an employee has the ability to have their Superannuation Guarantee Contribution (SGC) paid into the complying super fund of their choice. If you fail to nominate a fund then we can nominate one for you so we can start making payments to you.

You can download a copy of the superannuation standard choice form here.

Health Care and Health Insurance for Overseas Visitors

The Australian Government has reciprocal healthcare agreements for Medicare with public health care being available to some passport holders from the following countries: United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, Netherlands, Malta, Italy, Sweden and Finland.

Students are not eligible for these services and must have private travel health insurance. Private medical insurance is available from insurers like Medibank Private. We recommend that all overseas visitors cover themselves with private insurance.

Professional and WorkCover Insurance

SwingShift Nurses provides Public Liability and Professional Indemnity for all its nurses. Whilst we provide plenty of cover for you, some nurses seek added protection by registering as a member with the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) who also provide indemnity cover for their members.

All our staff are fully covered for WorkCover in the unfortunate event you experience a work place injury.